Sunday, December 20, 2009

SNOW!!!!

Okay, so in case you have been living under a rock for the last 3 days, OR you don’t live in the Tri- Cities area, let me just tell you it SNOWED here!!! Paul Thurrott (the host of Windows Weekly and editor of The Supersite for Windows who lives in the Boston area) put out a tweet last night saying that they were going to get hit with a Category 5 Death Storm!! Not sure if Boston got hit, but I know our area got hit with at least a Category 3.

It all started on Friday afternoon at about 3ish, LUCKILY I had got off work early and was already home. I am truly thanking God for this, because shortly after I got home things starting getting BAD!!! When the snow came it CAME FOR REAL! Here are some pictures of the progression:

Friday-3:00PM

IMG_1067

 

IMG_1068 

Friday-4:30PM

IMG_1069

IMG_1070

IMG_1071 

Friday-6:00PM

IMG_1074

IMG_1075

IMG_1076

Saturday- 9:00am

IMG_1077

IMG_1078IMG_1080

IMG_1082

I actually measured the total from our back porch and came up with . . .

IMG_1084

Now when it initially started snowing  Nick & I were sitting home warm and toasty having a FABULOUS time. We were watching DVD’s, playing Christmas music, and doing a few home shores. The worst thing that happened was our satellite was out. Nick actually could have fixed the satellite by climbing up on the roof and dusting it off but I refused to let him. I told him we did not need to have a Christmas Vacation moment.

The best part about the snow was I got to make SNOW CREAM!!!! Growing up every time it snowed a good amount my Mom would make snow cream and I always LOVED it. For those of you who have never made it here is a recipe:

Snow Cream Recipe

1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
scant 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
large bowl of snow (about 3 quarts)

Blend milk, sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough snow to make snow cream to an ice cream consistency.

One of the keys to snow cream is making sure you get CLEAN snow, you especially have to avoid the yellow variety if you know what I mean.

IMG_1089

Collecting the Snow

IMG_1092

Finished Product

 

Now while we were sitting home having fun many other people were experiencing  the BAD collateral damage that snow brings. My parents lost power early due to catastrophic event in which a tree took done a power pole very close to there house. They have now been without power for about 3 days. We also knew several people that sat gridlocked on the road for hours trying to get home and in some cases actually abandoned there vehicle and continued on foot. We also have not escaped the storm unscathed, our  pretty/shiny snow fun actually ended Saturday afternoon. We went out at about noon to get some groceries and a few other things and returned home to find the power was out. We spent one cold and dark night at home and it was NOT FUN! We lit a ton of candles, wore 2 layers of clothing, and burrowed in the bed for warmth.

IMG_1097 Here is Nick talking on the phone by candlelight. I know you can not really tell it is him but trust me it is!

Now over 24 hours later we are still with out power and have been graciously been taken in by John and Nicole. We are so thankful to have a warm place to be tonight. BIG THANKS TO NICOLE AND JOHN!!!

We shall keep you updated on our electricity status, hopefully we will be back home by Christmas :) The Category 3 Death Storm got us but we are not completely down yet. With a little electricity we could emerge from this event victoriously!!!

On a side note I know this blog was not very Christmassy but I am going to count it as the 7th Blog of Christmas. It was about snow which makes me think of Christmas and Nick did ask if we could open presents during the pretty/shiny snow time.

Till next time- Stay Warm and Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: