Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Day/Strawberries & Cream Trifle

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!! I would like to take this time to thank all of our Veterans and current service members for all they have done to defend our country. You fight for the Freedoms we all enjoy, and many times go unappreciated. So THANK YOU!

image

 

Strawberries & Cream Trifle

Well, Summer Time is here and with it comes one of my favorite summer eats . . . STRAWBERRIES!  I love them . . . Especially, the fresh locally grown ones!

We hosted a small cook out for the Oaks Family this weekend and I wanted to come up with a yummy dessert to make with strawberries. So I began searching on Allrecipes.com, my favorite go-to recipe sight, for good and easy strawberry recipes. I can across several decent looking recipes, but nothing I just loved. So I called my go-to recipe person . . .mom! With her help we took the good stuff out of several of the recipes that I found at Allrecipes.com, and came up with our good strawberry recipe. By the way, it was kind of my idea for it to be a trifle, I am always looking for an excuse to use my trifle bowl! :) 

Here is our recipe which everyone seemed to enjoy at our cook out:

Strawberries & Cream Trifle

Ingredients:

1 box Strawberry Cake Mix and ingredients needed to prepare it

2 quarts of fresh strawberries (the amount of strawberries is flexible)

1 8oz cool Whip

2 packages of Cream Cheese

1 cup of sugar

Instructions:

Slice up the 2 quarts of strawberries.  Set aside a few whole strawberries for decoration. Bake Strawberry Cake Mix according to instructions.   Mix together the cool whip, cream cheese, and sugar until well blended.

Once all of that is done you can put together the trifle. First, cut up some pieces of the cake to cover the bottom of whatever bowl you are using, then add some strawberries, and then put the cream cheese mixture on top of that. Continue these layers until your bowl is full, you should end with a layer of the cream cheese mixture that you can put the whole strawberries on top of for decoration. Then chill over night.

  The next morning you should have something like this:

IMG_1454

***A couple of notes on this recipe. You do not have to chill it over night but I really felt like mine was better after it had been in the fridge over night. Also you can cut and sugar your strawberries over night if you prefer. This recipe is also really flexible and you could probably do any kind of cake mix you wanted to or even do angel food cake. Also I am not really sure how many strawberries I used, I am guessing at 2 quarts but you could really do as many as you wanted.

 

Now no good blog post is complete without a good Lord of the Rings clip and this one happens to contain the inspiration for the name of the above dessert:

 

If Strawberries & Cream are good enough for Frodo and Sam they are good enough for me!

Happy Memorial Day to you all and I hope you get the chance to enjoy some Strawberries & Cream Trifle!

1 comment:

Becky said...

That trifle looks awesome! I love to use my trifle bowl, but I never cook for that many people, so I've only used it once. Sad. :( But maybe I can make that strawberry concoction sometime... I loooove strawberries!