Saturday, January 2, 2010

Copper Boom- An Ode to the Gilmore Girls

So I know for most people the Gilmore Girls series ended in 2007 but for me it finally ended yesterday.  I did not follow Gilmore Girls by conventional means, I watched reruns on ABC Family and Soapnet, I also watched most of the series on DVD and that is how I saw the end. Ironically, it was Nicole, my sister-in law, that got me started on Gilmore Girls and helped me finish. Way back in 2004 when Nick and I were just dating Nicole and I were roomies on a church retreat and spent part of a day napping and watching tv in our room and it was there that Nicole introduced to the fabulousness that is Gilmore Girls. On a side note this one of my favorite Nicole and I memories.  ABCFamily was showing a marathon that conveniently started with the 1st episode of the series. I saw the 1st episode and was ABSOLUELY hooked! I loved the dialogue between Lorelei and Rory, the quirky towns folk in Stars Hollow, and all the plot lines. I continued to keep up with show on ABC Family and eventually got most of the season on DVD. When the show ended in its 7th year in 2007 I had not seen any of the finally 2 seasons. I tried to catch bits and pieces on Soapnet and then finally borrowed Nicole’s deluxe Gilmore Girls DVD set and finished. Thanks to Nicole!

Now since completing the series I have been trying to come up with all  the things I love about Gilmore Girls and there is quite a list. So here we go:

  • STARS HOLLOW! I want to live there! I want to take dance classes at Ms. Patti’s, take part in all the quirky festivals, get mad at Taylor at a Town Meeting, drink coffee at Luke’s, stay at the Dragon Fly, walk through the square, visit Mrs.. Kim’s shop, and this list could go on FOREVER!!!
  • THE CLOTHES! I love the stuff that Rory and Lorelei wear. They always seemed stylish but in a not to trendy. During season 6 Lorelei wears this Pink pea coat with brass button that is to DIE FOR! The dress that Rory wore when she jumped of the tower at the 1st Life & Death Brigade out, BEAUTIFUL! The looked good casual, they looked good dressed up, they even made me want the PJ’s they wore!
  • THE CHARACTERS absolutely made the show. Rory and Lorelei were obviously the best but they were surrounded by so many other greats. Sookie & Jackson, Michel, Luke, Kirk, Lane & Zack and the whole band, Mrs.. Kim, Babette and Patti, Kirk, Taylor, Paris, Emily and Richard, and I am sure the list could go own. I would love to meet all these people! I know they are all fictional but so well played and perfect for the show.

I have also attempted to come up with some of my favorite episodes but it has been very difficult. I think I have managed to narrow it down to 3, but there are some many others. Here they are in no particular order:

  • They Shoot Gilmore’s Don’t They” , Season 3. This is the one where they have that crazy Dance Marathon and Lorelei loses to Kirk again.

  • The Lorelais' First Day at Yale", Season 4 Rory starts Yale and Lorelei tries to find a place to hide a mattress.

 

  • "The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton"- Season 1. Rory stars Chilton on Lorelei’s laundry day.

 

I have seen all the episodes now and I am left with so many questions. The last season was so random and rushed it, but the last episode was pretty good. I do feel they could have used a little flash forward so we could see how everything ended up. I need CLOSEURE people. Here are my questions, maybe you have the answers:

  • Does Hip Alien ever get back together
  • Does Mrs.. Kim have a 1st name and what happened to her husband?
  • Did Sookie and Jackson have a boy or a girl?
  • Did April ever come back to Star’s Hollow?
  • Did Paris make it through medical school? (Okay we know she did.) But did she and Doyle get married? How’s her bed side manner?
  • Did Rory become a big time reporter?
  • Are Luke and Lorelei married?
  • Did Michel get another dog?
  • Did Kirk and Lulu get married? And does he still live with his mother?
  • Did Lane and Zack have any more kids? Did Brian become there official manny?

I need answers! but sadly I don’t think we will ever know :(

Okay, all you Gilmore girl junkies I shared my favorites with you and now it is your turn. What’s your favorite quote, episode, character . . . etc.  You can even tell me you least favorite.  Tell me anything, we must keep the Gilmore Girls alive!

I leave you with

 

You know you are singing it out loud right now . . .

 

Next time The New Years Blog!

No comments: