Sunday, March 6, 2011

Adventures in Cooking

Well, today I was out browsing the inter-web when I can across a recipe for Soft Snickerdoodle Cookies <----Click here if you want to see it. Now I LOVE Snickerdoodle cookies and actually up till about 3 or 4 years ago made them every year around Christmas. So with the snow falling today . . .YES March came in like a LION! Lets only hope it leave like a LAMB as the saying goes.

IMG_4708

I thought today would be an excellent day to whip up some cookies. So naturally I did not have all the ingredient needed and had just got back from a trip to Wal-Mart. Luckily, my wonderful husband ventured out (the snow stopped) to pick up a few things for me. Isn’t he sweet!? So the cooking began! I will have to say 1st and foremost that I am not a perfect cookie chef. My cookies are never attractive unless it is those slap on a cookie sheet Pillsbury variety. I always envy those people who can make all there cookies the exact same shape an circumference. I do believe there is an art to it. My cookies on the other hand are more like snowflakes--- No two of them are ever alike!

That being said this cookie dough was some of the oddest I have ever worked with! Normally, cookie dough gets stiff enough for you to roll it in to balls, but this one just never did. I chilled it for the called for 15 minutes and then I actually stuck it in the freezer to get a little more chill, but I just never felt like it was write. The dough just kind of glopped, which made getting the cinnamon and sugar coating on a challenge.

How did they actually turn out you ask? Well, results were varied. I decided to use my Pampered Chef baking stones even though I have had trouble making cookies on them in the past. I know sometimes you have to cook things a little longer on a stone so I did that in hopes of having beautiful cookies. Despite my best efforts the 1st pan had to be completely thrown out, they just NEVER got done. They appeared to be done on the top and the edges but when I tried to get them out of the pan they just gooed up. Not sure if “gooed” is a word but it best describes what happened. The next pan also a baking stone turned out GREAT! Go figure?! 3rd pan yet another baking stone was yet another disaster . . .

IMG_3872

I was able to salvage a few but most of them ended up in the pile you see here.

Pan 4 was actually a metal pan and those I cooked on it actually were partially burnt, and I backed of my cooking time in an attempt to avoid this.

IMG_3873

I would honestly like to blame my oven for this entire fiasco. Not sure if that is true or fair, but it is a like easier than it being user error.

So would I use this recipe again? No probably not! I think the old recipe that my Mom has yields a much better result. Although we did get a plate of cookies out of this one . . .

IMG_3871

See I told you I make unattractive cookies, but they are yummy!

Now for the worst part . . .CLEAN UP! Ugh!

No comments: