Monday, February 21, 2011

I ♥ President’s Day

Let me just say that I have a new found love for President’s Day and appreciate every President and was more that happy to celebrate there birthday with a 3 DAY WEEKEND! Nick and I took advantage of our day off and spent some time together in Gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge. Initially I wanted to just do some shopping, but that was not fair to my dear sweet hubby who wanted to hike. So we ended up doing a hiking/shopping/eating day. Everyone was happy!  Win-Win!

We started our day with a short hike to Laurel Falls one of the most popular water falls in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. The trail is 1.3 miles 1 way and is paved, making it an easy trek for almost anyone. It was a beautiful day for a hike the temperature was just right and there was a slight breeze, which actual turned into a fierce wind later while we were shopping.

Hiking for us also meant Picture Taking Time!!! I got to get my big fancy camera out for the first time in a long time. I am so hoping to get more photography practice is as the weather get warmer. Here are a few of our favorite shots from the day:

IMG_4604

Sun in the trees

IMG_4611

Deep Thoughts . . .

IMG_4673

At Laurel Falls

IMG_4662

Bottom of Laurel Falls (Nick took this)

IMG_3828

Laurel Falls again (My pic)

IMG_3835

A so-so self portrait

IMG_3845

I love the reflections you can see in this pool of water.

After our great hike we hit up Calhoun’s for some yummy ribs. I had actually told Nick when we were driving in that we needed to eat somewhere new this time because we always eat at Calhoun’s. BUT I had a total change of heart when we passed the Calhoun’s sign that said “Best Ribs in America.” Man, there ribs really are FABULOUS and I had to have some.

Once we took in our wonderful lunch we hit 5 Oaks and ended the day with fantastic shopping. 40% off the entire store at Old Navy- Need I say more?!

It was a truly a blessing to have this day off together. We had so much fun! Thanks again to the President’s!

1 comment:

Becky said...

How fun! Glad you guys enjoyed your day! I love the ribs at Calhoun's... anytime I get ribs anywhere else, I'm just disappointed. Plus the corn pudding is amazing! (I get really excited about food these days, lol!)