Thursday, June 17, 2010

You Know You Are Getting Old When . . .

it takes you 4 days to recover from being up all night.

Okay, so I am a little behind on posting a blog mostly due to sleep deprivation.  This past weekend I participated in 2010 Relay for Life in Sullivan County.  Relay events happen all over the country in support of the American Cancer Society. If you are not familiar with Relay for Life the idea is to have a walker on the track during the entire duration of the event. The Sullivan County Relay for Life was held at Bristol Motor Speedway(Not actually in the speedway but in the Hospitality Village area) with a soft opening at 12pm on Saturday and ended at 6am on Sunday morning. So in order to get the entire Relay experience I stayed up all night.

Now I should tell you I consider myself a veteran at staying up all night. When I was much younger I was always the last one asleep at the slumber parties. My parents would always come to pick up the next day after a sleep over and ask me when I went to sleep, and I would usually reply with a 4am  or later. They were never surprised. I have been at many a sleepover and found myself talking out loud to no one because everyone else had gone to sleep. Needless to say the night owl of years past can just not hang anymore. It is just sad when you find something that you just got too old to do. Has that ever happened to any of you all?

Despite my sleep deprivation Relay was tons of fun and I will be right back in there next year sitting up all night! It is totally worth it! Cancer has touched the life of everyone in one way or another and anything I can do to help us get closer to a cure I am always willing to support. I also want to encourage all my friends out in blog land to get involved with Relay. It is a wonderful organization and a great experience.

One of the most moving parts of the event is the Luminary Ceremony held in honor of those that have passed from Cancer or for those who are fighting cancer. My Mom actually purchased two Luminaries and lit them in honor of two special people:

IMG_0074

A fuzzy picture but this one is for a very good friend of our family, Barbara Mahoney, who is currently fighting breast cancer.  Barbara is always in my thoughts and prayers and I know she will be a future survivor. Love you Barbara!

IMG_0075 This one is for my Mamaw Annie (my Mom’s mom) who passed from cancer in 2001. She was the best Mamaw ever too! I know I will see her again one day in heaven.

I may be getting too old to stay up all night, but I am sure gonna try in order to honor those who are effected by this horrible disease.

We’re only as old as we feel, right?!

No comments: