Friday, June 12, 2009

Good, Bad, and Fabulous!

So I started this blog over a month ago and then got a little lost as to what to do . . .I mean I could not fathom what I could write about that would really interest other people. THEN this week I had an epiphany, I could use this blog to fine tune my writing skills and talk about things I like and of course things I do not like on a variety of topics. I am talking everything from restaurants, stores, clothes, food, recipes, books, movies . . .the possibilities are endless. Thus . . .The Good, the Bad, & The FABULOUS!

So in the interest of starting this new blog epiphany off right here is something I had this week that was FABULOUS! (Cue drum roll) BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES! Ohhhh my, these were truly FABULOUS! My sister, Jennifer, actually shared the recipe with me with a warning that they were quite addictive and she was Ohhhh Sooo Right! I made them for Nick and I Thursday night and well I think we have already ate half a 9x13 pan, ooops! They were fairly simple to make and did I mention that they were FAT FREE . . .okay not really but that were very tasty and lets face it we all deserve a treat now and then. And I am choosing to pretend they are fat free ;)


Here is the recipe for anyone else that would like to join in the fabulousness . . .

Butterscotch Brownies:

Prep: 25 Min Bake: 30 min Oven: 350°

Cool: 2 hours Makes: 24 brownies

1 cup butter

2 cups packed brown sugar

3 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Maple Icing:

1/2 cup softened butter

3 cups powdered sugar

4 teaspoons milk

2 teaspoons maple flavoring (maple syrup works 2)

  1. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 – inch baking pan: set aside
  2. In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add brown sugar, stirring until combined. Cool mixture for 10 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
  3. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; stir in egg mixture. Stir in chopped nuts. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes.
  4. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Frost with Maple Icing. Let stand until icing sets. Cut into bars.
Maple Icing:

In a medium mixing bowl beat ½ cup softened butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add ½ cup powdered sugar; beat well. Beat in 4 teaspoons milk and 2 teaspoons maple flavoring. Add 2 ½ cups additional powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating well after each addition. If necessary, add a little more milk to reach spreading consistency.

I know that the recipe is long but it is simple and FABULOUS! I hope you enjoy it!


No comments: